|M13: A Battle with No Tomorrow|
|Air Date (JP)||
March 7, 1981
|Air Date (UK)||
March 26, 1983
M13: A Battle with No Tomorrow, originally titled in Japan as M13: Limitless Battle (M13明日なき戦い! M13 ashita naki tatakai!) is the twenty-second (twenty-first in English) episode of Star Fleet. It aired on March 7, 1981 on Fuji TV in Japan and March 26, 1983 on ITV in the UK.
|Spoiler warning: Plot and/or ending details follow.|
Commander Makara has her battlecruiser fire laser torpedoes at X-Bomber, which retaliates with her laser blast. Makara then uses blue electric beams fired from the Battlecruisers "eyes", disrupting X-Bomber's controls. Meanwhile, Captain Orion deploys astrofighters to attack the Callinean palace and city. Halley wants the rulers to flee, but the King refuses and will not reply with violence or use Professor Hagen's laser cannon, which he constructed without their knowledge or permission. Defending themselves is consequently a violent action against the planets peaceful ways. Halley despairs and takes the Skull up to hold off the fighters.
Caliban in his Death Ball approaches the Callinean palace and attacks, demanding that Lamia surrender herself. Lamia tells Halley, who informs X-Bomber, revealing the Alliance's trap. The pilots leave X-Bomber in the hands of Professor Hagen and P.P.A., launching the Dai-X fighters. They form Dai-X and land on Callinean to confront Caliban's Death Ball.
Dai-X goes toe to toe against the Death Ball, but its Shell is impervious to Dai-X's physical attacks, and when Dai-X physically pushes the Death Ball back, Dai-X gets electroshocked by it. With the Death Ball repelling Dai-X's lasers and torpedoes, Dai-X back-flips over the Death Ball to attack it from behind. But the Death Ball turns around, firing magnetic grapples onto Dai-X, and electroshocking it again, forcing it to the ground and rendering the pilots unconscious.
With the Skull and X-Bomber also in bad shape, Lamia feels all is hopeless. The King and Queen of Callinean, however, have accepted that the Professor's laser cannon is the only solution. The Death Ball retracts its chains and Caliban fires a flamethrower at Dai-X, proceeding to do the same to the Callinean city.
The pilots regain consciousness and Dai-X picks up its feet and Hercules throws a defense shield up to block Caliban's flamethrower attack. They use X-Tracers against the Death Ball, finally succeeding in destroying the Death Ball. But Dai-X suddenly collapses, it's energy cells are depleted. Fortunately, Hagen's cannon opens up fire on Makara's battlecruiser, which bursts into a series of explosions, eliciting the Alliance to retreat.
The King & Queen of Callinean thank the crew of X-Bomber for helping defend their planet, and Lamia says her goodbyes to the X-Bomber crew as she prepares to leave with Captain Halley. As Commander Makara tries to think of a new plan, they are interrupted by the hologram of the Imperial Master, who strips her and Orion of their ranks, sending them in exile, and tells them he will attack the Earth himself. Makara refuses to accept this disgrace and resolves to attack and destroy X-Bomber.
The Skull's crew intercepts the transmission from the Imperial Master and inform Captain Halley and Lamia. Lamia rushes to tell the X-Bomber crew as they pay their final respects to Dr. Benn's grave before they leave. Lamia pleads with Shiro to go with them, Lamia cannot part ways with Shiro. Meanwhile, the Imperial Masters Planet moves out of its orbit and commences its journey to Earth.
Shiro asks his father if they can take Lamia with them. Professor Hagen has reservations with all the efforts and sacrifices given by Dr. Benn to get her to Callinean. After Lamia argues that she must return with them, the pilots vote to take her with them and Professor Hagen accepts the decision. They inform Captain Halley as X-Bomber launches for Earth. Halley orders his second in command to prepare the Skull to accompany X-Bomber back to Earth.
- Caliban - "What's the matter? You can't do anything - not to my Death Ball."
- Shiro Hagen - “We’ve won!”
- Barry Hercules - “It’s a knockout!”
- King of Callinean - “I did not intend to ever use that weapon.”
- Lamia - “I’m sorry, Your Majesty.”
- King of Callinean - “Don’t be. You were right - it saved our lives.”
- Captain Halley - "Prepare to launch The Skull, I can't let them go alone."
|Character||Japanese Voice||English Voice||French Voice|
|Termoids||Masaharu Satō||Jacob Witkin||Marc François|
|King of Callinean||Mikio Terashima||Sean Barrett|
|Queen of Callinean||Mami Koyama||Denise Bryer||Annie Balestra|
|Callinean Advisor||Kenichi Ogata||Jacob Witkin||Christian Alers|
|Skull Crewmember||Masaharu Satō|
|Makara's Symbiote||Annie Balestra|
Earth Defence ForcesEdit
- Imperial Battlecruiser
- Imperial Carrier Craft
- Imperial Fighters
- Caliban's Deathball
Other Equipment UsedEdit
- The Skull
- Professor Hagen's Laser Cannon
- Stock footage from the Pilot, Scramble X-Bomber, Wipe Out the Transport Fleet, The Mysterious Ship, Skull and Asleep in the Ice Prison is used.
- This episode takes place in either late November or early December 2999 as Makara states that there is one Earth month left to the New Year.
- In the Making of Star Fleet feature on the Complete Series DVD, Go Nagai makes mention of them wanting to have had an episode where the Dai-X is pitted against an Imperial Alliance robot. This episode is essentially that, however.
- In the English dub, music from the Japanese version is audible when the Death Ball detaches its grappling hooks.
- The sound of the laser cannon moving into position is taken from the Space: 1999 episode Space Warp. This is denoted by the fact that there is growling sound effects present from the episode.